Quick Tips: Summer Vacationing Out of State With Your Children

Child Custody

by: Julia Rodgers

Many children (and parents) are looking forward to their summer vacation, which often will involve traveling. If you are a parent who may be bringing your child on vacation out of state (and within the United States), it is good practice- and may be required by Court Order- to notify the other parent in advance of the vacation and provide the other parent with flight information, the address where the child will be staying, and how the child can be reached by telephone in case of an emergency. Additionally, it is important to remember that in order to remove a child from the United States for a vacation, written permission of the other parent, in the form of a notarized letter identifying specific dates of travel and destination(s), is required. Therefore, if you are traveling internationally, you should request a notarized letter from the other parent well in advance of your vacation to ensure that your vacation plans are not delayed because you do not have the proper travel documents.

Comments are closed.