Can I Force My Spouse to Pay My Attorneys Fees?

Attorneys Fees

by: Julia Rodgers

In general, each party is responsible for their attorneys fees. However, if you have no access to money because your spouse controls the finances,  you can file a motion for attorneys fees “pendente lite,” in which case a judge may order an advance on your share of the marital assets for your attorneys fees.

If a judge finds that, during the divorce process, your spouse has caused you to incur unnecessary attorneys fees, you may request the court to issue an order that you be reimbursed for the frivolous attorneys you incurred to defend yourself.

Julia Rodgers, Mavrides LawTo set up an in-depth consultation with a lawyer to speak about a divorce or other family law matter, contact Mavrides Law in Boston, Massachusetts at 617-723-9900 or contact the firm by email.

Comments are closed.